4.05.2011

What is a birthday?

March is the month when we celebrate Jaxon AND Jovie's birthdays. I was a little nervous on how Jaydn would interpret these special days for her brother and sister since as far as I know, she has never been celebrated on her birthday. In fact we don't even know if her DOB is actually the day she came into this world or just some Dr's estimate. But I was a little worried that she would see them getting a lot of attention within days of each other and wonder, "when is my special day?" Thankfully we didn't throw any big parties this year but kept it within our family with meals out or nights together at home. She enjoyed singing the HAPPY BIRTHDAY song to each of them and apparently its stuck in her head b/c she sings it at least 5x a day. She got to enjoy cake but never blew out any candles. She saw the decorations but learned quickly they weren't there in her honor. Some thoughtful friends and family members sent an extra gift for her with the other two which made her feel even more involved and blessed me that they would include her in their shopping.

By the looks of things she handled the focused attention on her siblings rather well. Im a little skeptical though that she didn't have any personal thoughts about it all. But at this stage in our relationship, she wouldn't even know where to begin and communicate them to me.

I wish I could explain to her that last August a group of people gathered together at a playground in FL on her DOB to celebrate her even before she was home! But she wouldn't understand. I look forward to her birthday this year. I can't wait to spoil her and give her all the love and attention she has missed her first two years of birthdays. As a mother, it kills me that she missed such special moments for so many years but as a believer I know those moments are being redeemed by the grace of God every day that she is home! August can't come soon enough this year...

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Great post, Bethany!! Thank you for sharing! I am so thankful that we serve a God who makes all things new!