Today was Nathan's day to wake up with Jaydn (yes that is how we do it-we take turns). So I wasn't too happy when Nathan woke me up by shaking my leg as he talked with someone on the phone about an adoption form. Quickly he hangs up the phone and asks me if we have form XYZ and I said yes we did. Then he informed me that it was the US Embassy on the phone and they were going to call me back to see if we had the right form. I was really confused b/c our Visa appointment wasn't until next week (Dec 15th remember) so why were they asking this now? I started to fall back to sleep when Nathan suggested we get some breakfast so up and at em! Grrrrr. As we were getting ready the phone rang and I spoke with the Embassy rep about the paperwork I had and she said, "Well if you have that then we can see you today at 3pm." I was in shock! "Today? Are you serious?" I asked. "Yes," she said plainly. I couldn't say enough thank you's before she hung up the phone. I told Nathan the news and we both started cheering. Jaydn is getting used to our shenanigans so she had her high five hands ready and kept saying, "Yay!" It was so cute. Our minds started racing at the possibilities. We knew we would definitely be going home this weekend but how soon? Could we make our flight on Friday at 12:40am? Should we change it to Saturday just to be safe? But as we prayed through it we felt like we needed to hold on to our faith and wait. We knew we had until 5pm today to change it and our appointment was at 3pm so we just waited. At the news, Nathan became a new man. His whole demeanor changed and there was a bounce in his step again. Of course we made our way to Cafe Java for breakfast/lunch then hit a few gift shops for some giveaways. We came back to the apartment and prayed away until our ride came and drove is to the Embassy. We truly had butterflies, we were so excited. When we were called to the window again, gratitude poured from our lips for the mere fact we were there TODAY and not next week. We gave them the form they had asked about on the phone earlier and they asked us to take a seat again. The next time we got called in we were informed that they didn't have all of the necessary paperwork to process our file. Apparently our own Homeland Security had sent our approvals to Nairobi instead of Kampala. Because of the paperwork we brought in, they knew we had been approved and now they just had to get the official pages from either Nairobi or the U.S. whoever responded first. They sent us back into the waiting room again. We just sat there completely dumbfounded that after coming all this way, getting this close, our own country made a mistake that could keep us from getting a Visa in time. They called us back into the room and decided they would go ahead and interview us and make us take the oath so that just in case the documents did come, they wouldn't have to call us back another day. After we were questioned about the circumstances of our adoption we boldly asked what the likelihood of us getting our Visa in time for our flight would be. It was 4pm by this time so we knew we had to call and change or have a guarantee from the Embassy we would make it. They couldn't promise anything and we agreed it was out of their hands. So the interviewer suggested we change our flights to Saturday. However they assured us that IF they got what they needed in time, they would work hard on our behalf to get us the Visa so we could leave as soon as possible. We thanked them profusely for all of their generosity and headed out. We talked back and forth about what we should do and both agreed we should go to the British Airways office and see what our options were. We explained our situation to the agent and she calmed our fears and awarded us more time. She said that there was plenty of open spots on all outgoing flights this weekend so if we didn't get our Visa tomorrow, to call before 5pm and they will still change it for us. We asked how much it would be and b/c we are on what they call a "Humanitarian Ticket," it was going to cost us nothing. Wow! We had budgeted for flight change costs and here we were possibly needing to change our tickets for the 2nd time and it was free again! I was getting hungry (that chocolate croissant from Java's wasn't holding me over I guess) so we asked to be dropped off at the mall food court by the apartment. We ordered our food and as we sat our phone rang. It was the woman from the Embassy and she was calling to tell me that they had received what they needed and would be able to complete Jaydn's Visa by tomorrow! WOW! Think I'm done? No way! After we ate dinner we celebrated with the worst cupcakes we have ever tasted and then headed to the apartment. We stopped to talk with the owner and square up our bill since we had overstayed our month of rent and when we asked how much we owed him he said, "Its ok." Its ok? Yep, that's right, he isn't going to charge us for the the extra days we have been at the apartment. Can you believe it!?
He did it! GOD DID IT! Everything that could have possibly gone right today, DID! (Well except E! isn't on the TV tonight b/c the storm knocked out our connection and I wanted to see the season finale of Gulianna and Bill but beggars can't be choosers right?!) Sincerely we stand in awe of how God has moved in our favor, even when we tried to help. See the back story is this: when we announced on FB that we couldn't get a Visa appointment until Wednesday December 15th us and others started coming up with ways we could possibly make that sooner. When we went to bed last night we were planning to go to the Embassy and do a "sit in" just in case someone missed their appointment, we would be there to fill in. If that didn't work, we would try it again on Monday of next week too. We didn't even know if the Embassy would let us do that but we wanted to try. Then other people, in the U.S., wanted to try calling government workers to see if they could get involved and speed things up. We even received an email from a Senator's office this morning (seen after our call from the Embassy) asking for some information so they could try to help. But while we were making all these plans to force the results, God was saying, 'I got this!' It was so obvious from the moment we woke up today that He was doing something much bigger than we could have even attempted to do. We prayed God would show off and today He most definitely did!
We loved telling our kids to count down for 2 days b/c we were coming home. We have packed up our stuff and look forward to our last day in Uganda tomorrow before heading to the airport. While this may seem like the time to back off the prayers, please don't. We now enter into a whole new phase of this journey. First we ask for prayers as we go through airports/immigration etc. Some families have been harassed as they traveled with their Ugandan child. We have done what we can to try and be prepared and be able to provide what we need to in case we get interrogated but we are hoping it doesn't come to that. Secondly we pray that Jaydn does well during the flights/layovers. She has traveled amazingly well up to this point so we pray it continues as long as we need it to- we have 28 hours of travel time ahead of us.
Its so surreal to be at this point! We are going home tomorrow...well technically Friday morning, but we won't be sleeping until then so it feels like tomorrow. Tomorrow, our last post from Uganda- wow.
To God be the glory forever and ever! Amen!