12.22.2010

FAQ's

Ok so I was made aware that my blog posts have been a little heavy lately so I thought I would rattle one off with just the basic info based on the questions we get asked a lot.

Q. How is Jaydn adjusting to the dog?
A. Great! She has been petting him lately but is still suspicious of his activity when he is under the table at meal times. She doesn't like not knowing when or if he will brush her leg or something. She calls out to him all the time in her own speech impeded way with a little hoot hoot at the end signifying a whistle of sorts. She is growing to love him. I mean what's not to like?

Q. Where is Jaydn sleeping?
A. We were told in our reports before we met her that she was in a bed but when we got to the orphanage she was in a crib. We came to find out that she was climbing out all the time so they put her back in the crib to contain her. Well after a week in the apartment we managed to teach her to stay put but all that went out the window since she has been home. She will roam around if we'd let her and she is stealth so we could sleep through it if we didn't take necessary measures. Our original plan was a twin bed (already set up) in Jovie's (the girls') room but since arriving home we have decided a crib would be the best bet. Since she still climbs out of all cribs, we got one of those crib tent things to make sure she is safely tucked away in her bed while we sleep in a room just down the hall. Right now, she is still sleeping in the pack N play in our room but in the next few days we will make the switch. You can bet there will be a blog post or two about that transition!

Q. How well has Jaydn been sleeping?
A. Great! We haven't had any major problems with bed time or jet lag. She goes to bed around 8pm and she will wake up at around 6am for her morning shoosh (poop). She will get frustrated that she is tented in and start to whine but most mornings we can get her to calm down for a little while so we can squeeze in whatever amount of sleep we can get away with. Getting her to bed can be a task sometimes but very reminiscent of an infant- rocking and holding her helps. Because it can take some time we usually put her down last. Im guessing she will be first once we start the room sharing business so she doesn't keep Jo up.

Q. What size is she?
A. I think I already said this but I had the closet prepped with 3T clothing before we went to Uganda but I have had to do a lot of shopping to get some 4T winter clothes instead. I have enough summer clothes to last but jeans and long sleeves were missing big time. But now we have some basics to work with!

Q. Is she potty trained or regressing?
A. Yes. She is potty trained- how cool is that at 2 years old?! But she doesn't communicate when she has to go. So unless we are around the house and she is in her underwear, she will pee her pants if she doesn't have a pull up on. I have also found that if she gets scared suddenly or throws one of her fits, she will wet herself. So most of the time we depend on the pull up. But when we are home, she goes on the potty all the time.

Q. What are some good effects Jaydn has had on Jaxon and Jovie?
A. Jovie has been challenged to grow up a lot since Jaydn got home. Seeing a girl younger than you sleeping on a regular bed and going on the potty makes you push yourself a little harder. Jovie knows she is older than Jaydn so the competition to be a big girl has begun. Within days of Jaydn being home, Jovie started sleeping on the twin bed in her room. So well in fact, we converted her crib to a toddler bed and she has been doing fantastic. Prior to this, there was no way Jovie would have stayed in her bed until we came in to get her but she wants to be the big girl so bad she is even willing to obey (in some areas). Also, she has been going on the potty a lot more. Jo has dabbled in potty training for several months but it hasn't stuck. I think we are getting close to a real desire to change that for herself though. We'll see. As for Jaxon, he is learning that he is the oldest and that he carries a certain level of responsibility just for being such. He loves it and hates it at times. Having Jaydn home has him talking about the "next" brother or sister a lot. He is hoping its a boy though so we can be even, plus, according to him, there isn't enough room for another one in the girl's room.

Q. How is attachment going?
A. Really well. I can definitely see some progress being made, especially in the area of wanting me more than anyone else. She will go to anyone temporarily but if Im within sight she will reach for me. I was able to calm her down a lot faster today for some reason-Im hoping that sticks! She gets territorial with me though. She doesn't want to "share" me, my lap or let me hold anyone else other than her, even Nathan.

Q. How is she eating?
A. Not well. She won't eat things she is unfamiliar with. Its weird b/c in Uganda she ate the most random food. She ate a variety and a lot of it. Now that we are home she will eat one part, the bread or the banana or whatever it may be and then push her plate away and kick and scream until she is allowed down from the table. I have managed to shove a few things in her mouth that she did end up liking (IE mandarin oranges and hot dogs). She is learning though that if she doesn't eat the good food, she doesn't get dessert (if there is one). I keep hoping that she doesn't just think she isn't getting any b/c I don't like her though. Its hard to know what message we are sending but I hope its that dinner comes first then dessert.

Q. Does she speak English?
A. I don't think she speaks anything really. While Ugandan communication is a series of eyebrow raises and head nods, she is more of a whiny tongue chewing with intended meaning behind it. She understands everything and if you teach her something new, she won't forget it. I throw a few Ugandan phrases her way, as do Jaxon and Jovie at times just to clarify something but overall we all speak English to her. I remember a woman in Uganda telling me Jaydn wasn't speaking Ugandan or English so I suspect she may have a speech problem or at least is really delayed. She gets syllables but not actual formation of sounds/words. That is a big source of frustration for her and all of us. Most of the time her meltdowns come as a result of not knowing how to communicate her feelings and instead she acts them out, usually aggressively. As I communicate verbally to her what is happening, her emotions escalate to a level that I have to respond more physically than I normally would to indicate the nature of the situation to her. But I see some ground being made in this area to, while miniscule, it is there.

I think that about covers it! If you have a question for us that was left unanswered then just post it in the comments section or email it to us at gaddisadoption@comcast.net


2 comments:

Kendra_Kendle said...

Have you considered signing with her? I signed a lot with Evelyn and it did wonders at speeding her language acquisition. I'd start with yes, no, I love you, and it seems she needs to learn the sign for pee. :)

Bethany Gaddis said...

Yes we have. She does "more" and "please" great since we started with that in Uganda. Her culture isn't as verbal as it is gestures so we are trying to teach her the words behind her movements.