12.02.2010

Bittersweet

Today we woke up to the wonderful news that our friend Natasha was able to pick up her daughter Deborah's Visa today! We were so excited for her but I knew when I went to bed last night that today was her day to go home! She had always said they were going out for ice cream when they got their Visa so we met up with them and loaded up! Afterward Jaydn and Deborah played on the mall jungle gym for a while before heading back to the apartment. Jaydn was so worn out she fell asleep on Natasha so we laid her down in her bed for a nap. The rest of us just hung out, talked, played volleyball in the house etc. It was pretty cool when we met up with my friend Erika on Skype too. She too has adopted from the same orphanage and b/c we both lived in FL we met up several times before we ever came out to Uganda. I fell in love with their family and I'm so glad we are able to keep in touch. Anyway, this story isn't about Erika and I but about Deborah and Erika. I saw that Erika was on Skype so I called her and when she answered I introduced her to Natasha and she got to see Deborah again. Deborah holds a special place in Erika's adoption story b/c she was the one that brought her daughter (Esther) to her when she came to the orphanage. When Erika arrived back in 2009, Esther was sleeping so Erika just sat outside with the mamas. Without notice, Deborah walked up to Erika with Esther in her arms and said, "Here Auntie. This is Esther," and placed her in Erika's lap. Deborah will forever be remembered b/c she played such a special role in the day she met her daughter Esther. So it was really cool to connect them again via Skype! Dinner time rolled around and we let Deborah choose what her last meal in Uganda would be. She chose Indian so we went to the food court and ate our last supper together. This goodbye was bittersweet. I will miss them but I know Deborah's life has only just begun and so much is waiting for her in Wales. I was so happy I cried. I hugged Deborah and told her to be good for her mommy. Then hugged Natasha's neck and made sure she knew how much I loved her. I'm sure we will be in touch on Skype and Facebook so I look forward to watching their lives unfold together!!

Its funny how now that Natasha is leaving we keep getting comments about how we are the next to go home. Um...yeah....we are next b/c we are the only ones left. For the first time since we arrived, we are not connected with any families that are also adopting. Its just us. We still know some people in Uganda but we are the only ones waiting. I know I keep writing about how hopeful we are but I have to be honest and say that tomorrow will be a breaking point for me if we don't get our ruling. At least if we get it tomorrow we have a chance at getting a Visa appointment next week. If we don't... I don't even want to think about it. Nathan is barely hanging on too. Today he had a heated conversation with our social worker on the phone. She keeps saying, "I know how you feel," when in reality she has NO IDEA! She confessed they haven't been working on our case today b/c they have a big meeting tomorrow to prepare for which really set us off. (Does that mean we will be ignored tomorrow too?!?!) She keeps getting frustrated with us b/c we are suggesting ways we could try to speed up the process or put some pressure on but culturally its not acceptable to do that. They are more afraid of bothering someone than they are in expecting people to follow through with what they said they would do. We are at the point where we don't care if people like us, we want them to do their job and send us home. We aren't being mean just tenacious and proactive. So we really need our paperwork tomorrow to carry our hope through the weekend. Please pray LOUDLY and OFTEN for this.

We received word yesterday that there will be a "changing of the guards" at our house next weekend and I really want my mom and step dad to still be there when we get home! After the 13th Nathans mom will return and take over if we don't get back. If my parents aren't there, it is unclear on when they will be able to meet Jaydn in person. I completely understand though- my poor step dad has been home alone for a month and a half off and on with our move and being in Uganda. Our moms have bent over backwards to help cover bases for us at home with 2 of our kids and we know this waiting and not knowing is exhausting for them too. Please pray for them as well.

Thank you again for all your encouragements and prayers. I imagine my daily rambles are getting boring after awhile so if you are still reading along, I appreciate your perseverance! I look forward to the day when all I have to write is WE ARE HOME! I picture all of you putting up the Christmas decor, working in the office, taking the kids to school and life going on as normal as we sit, wait and wait some more. There is no normal here. We long for the mundane routine and busyness of a daily life that we so often took for granted. I can't wait to plop on the couch and complain about being a stay at home mom with 3 kids (2 of which are in their terrible two's and girls no less). I look forward to arguing with Nathan about how he never does the dishes and makes me tea like he did in Africa. I anxiously await catching glimpses of my 3 kids playing well together and making each other smile and laugh. I will even take joy in the moments they are at each others throats and I have to separate them into 3 different rooms of the house. That's the good stuff people! Life is so bittersweet!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm still reading! Love you guys! Ellen Goebel

Anonymous said...

Continuing to pray for you guys. You have been through a lot on this journey for reasons we don't know. But God will continue to work his perfect plan. Stay strong.

Wayne & Carrie Finch


I'm waiting
I'm waiting on You, Lord
And I am hopeful
I'm waiting on You, Lord
Though it is painful
But patiently, I will wait

I will move ahead, bold and confident
Taking every step in obedience
While I'm waiting
I will serve You
While I'm waiting
I will worship
While I'm waiting
I will not faint
I'll be running the race
Even while I wait

I'm waiting
I'm waiting on You, Lord
And I am peaceful
I'm waiting on You, Lord
Though it's not easy
But faithfully, I will wait
Yes, I will wait
I will serve You while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting

Amanda said...

Thank you for your last paragraph! Very convicting. I may quote it back to you someday! lol

love and prayers, friend.

Natasha said...

Miss you guys! I can't wait to read your blog when the title is 'We're home!'